Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think a hive of mine may have a drone only laying queen, I will check again soon for worker eggs. I will be putting up my swarm traps this weekend and started to do a little mental planning, assuming I am fortunate enough to get a swarm or 2. If I do have a drone only laying Queen would there be anything I can do to "right" the hive if I capture a swarm? I've never done a combine, but would that be what I would need to do? Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, thanks. I finally had the right plan in mind. Never did a combine before but in this scenario it would be swarm colony placed on top of drone only hive??

BTW- What is the ethical and respectful way to dispose of the Queen? Drive 10 miles and let her live out life on her own? juzzer

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>Great, thanks. I finally had the right plan in mind. Never did a combine before but in this scenario it would be swarm colony placed on top of drone only hive??

I'd put the swarm hive up against the drone laying hive when you bring them to your yard. Let them settle in for a week or so. Then find the drone laying queen and drop her in a jar of alcohol. Keep her for swarm lure. Wait overnight. Take the cover off of the swarm hive and put a sheet of newspaper over the top. Set the box from the drone layer on top. Prop the cover on the drone layer box so they can get out and don't overheat (a stick will do for a prop). Leave them alone for a week or more. Then check for eggs and worker brood.

>TW- What is the ethical and respectful way to dispose of the Queen? Drive 10 miles and let her live out life on her own?

I always drop them in alcohol. Their pheromones are too valuable. They die instantly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts