Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a second year hive that swarmed about a month ago. I had not seen any eggs or brood development until today when all I saw was drone brood and not much of that. The few eggs I saw were in the bottom of the cell so I assume it is a laying queen and not a laying worker. I had assumed this hive was queenless (until today) and had already ordered a replacement queen, but she has not arrived yet. Does anybody have any suggestions on finding the occult queen? I'm afraid to put the new queen in the hive when she arrives but this colony obviously needs to be requeened. Also I have read on this forum that a frame or two of developing brood will improve the acceptance of a new queen. Will the presence of the drone brood in this case serve that purpose? Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm brand new at this and caught a swarm awhile back, I watched them for a few days and no babies. After about 2 weeks drone brood showed up but nothing else. I called a supplier and he told me that a queenless hive can produce drones which is unfertilized eggs and this is not healthy for the hive and needs to be requeened. So I'll check again tomorrow if no normal babies are there I'll get a queen, hope I helped and my info was correct.

·
Registered
429 Posts
do you have a queen excluder? and 2 empty boxes?
If so, place an empty box in the upside down lid, remove a frame of bees, and brush all bees off into hive, untill you are certain the queen isn't on the frame. place in empty box. repeat until 4 or 5 frames are in box, cover w/ upside down excluder and 2nd box continue removing frames and now brush bees into empty box on top. Set frames aside. when all bees are in box, smoke lightly, until most bees have moved through excluder. remove excluder and second box togather and set aside add all frames back to base, and gently remove bottom box, and set on top of hive pour bees out of lid. drones should fly from box w/ excluder, leavinq laying queen (bloated and usually almost flightless) in or on box. usually will work, but don't rely on it to remove her, only to make finding easier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts