Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hive came through winter strong and and on 3-17 I saw some brood, very little, but some, no eggs, but a few larvae. And more drones than I thought should be there. Thought this was good for so early in the season. On 4-6 things looked just about the same just lots more drones everywhere. Finally got into it 4-22 and there's only drone cells everywhere, lots and lots of bees and drones,no eggs, 2 deeps full of bees. I've been through this hive 3 times looking for the queen and can''t find her, I don't want to lose this hive. I was told I could put on a queen excluder between the bottom board and first box and shake the bees in front of the hive, trapping the queen outside, Honestly this scares the crap out of me, that's alot of bees and I'm in an urban neighbor hood. And I installed a new package this weekend an I went to check them. And the bees in the drone hive were pissed they chased me out at least 3 times all the way to the house.Any suggestions. I'm even willing to add a queen just to see if they accept her. Thanks Rhonda

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sound like there is no queen , that is why you cannot find her and their temperment is so bad. I think you were queenless so long, you now have a laying worker bee, they only create drones and heart ache.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I read, you could move that hive some 100 yards. Place a empty hive in its place so the Field bees have a place to return. Shake all the bees from the frames and place into a storage bin so no bees get on them. Than replace the frames into the new empty hive at the original spot. Note; the bees that have never left the hive will not find their way back and the ones laying. Place new queen in all will be fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
33 Posts
No they will kill her. You can't tell who is laying now> so it is important to get rid of every girl that is in that hive and just have the field bees. They will accept her. and she will start laying. use a queen cage.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The queen excluder wont work due to the laying workers can fit through. The problem is your laying workers. The laying workers have never left the hive so if you do as i mentioned before you will be fine. Just get a queen and place her in they will let her out and all will be fine in a few weeks.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shake it. There really isn't much to save. No sense wasting a good queen by splitting. Do the shake and intro the new queen. The other bees will go begging at other hives in your yard.

·
Registered
33 Posts
You wont be able to know who is laying. only young virgin workers lay drones in the numbers your speaking of. If you get rid of all the young bees you will be safe. The ones that are laying look just like the others , just their ovaries are now awake but can't mate. you must empty all the young bees away from the hive location at far as possible.so they wont be able to find their way back and will die. the older ones will come back, these are not the ones laying. and than place the queen you ordered the same day.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My goal for tomorrow is to get both deep boxes to the fartherst spot of the yard 40' or 50' or so away from my hive and shake them then put that empty deep on the bottom of my new package and then add mediums as needed. Pretty much the same with the other hive, empty deep with mediums on top. This way the new package will have comb ready to be laid in. I'll add a new queen to the other hive and hopefully the foragers will accept her, but with no house bees who will take care of the brood she lays? And if it's not a laying worker and actually a drone laying queen will she return tob the original hive Thanks Rhonda

·
Registered
33 Posts
Was your queen from a package? if so she was likly mated and didn't venture out to mate. To be safe place an excluder on the bottom for a few days. also do you have any bees from another hive that is healthy? Change a frame of brood with those nurse bees to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Arn't you folks overlookng a detail - the mass of drones oriented to the original location? Don't think I would want to burden either colony with feeding that bunch. Havn't seen an option I like. The QE at the bottom would keep them from entering, but I don't like that either. Anybody else??

Walt

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I guess my plan of action is to take the bees away from around here, just to close to nosy neighbors and to a field about 1/2 mile away and shake them out there.So basicly I only have to worry about the bees in the hive? Right? Any suggestions to keep them closed up on the trip there. Husband getting paraniod, me to actually. I just want to wrap them or whatever and get the 2 deep boxes on the back of a pickup, and shake them as fast as I can and get back home and set the hive back up I plan to split up the deeps and give one to the new package, there so full of pollen and nectar (no one to feed) I'm hoping to give the package a good start, put the new queen in and be done. Does this sound like a decent plan??Any suggestions! Thanks for all your help.Rhonda

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Responded to your PM before I saw your post.
What I call a "sheet move" works well. A sheet large enough to cover the whole hive and tuck under the bottom will contain them. Arrange the tucks such that corners are concentrated at the lifting points. Bees emerging go up to daylight - no way out at the top.

That still leaves the problem of disposition of too many drones. Those in development, eggs, larvae, and capped can be cycled through the freezer. Replace those frames with foundation. On return to base, set both deeps on their respective BB with excluders. Wait til dark thirty, set each deep, in turn, off on another bottom - improvise if you must. Quickly wrap the excluder, trapped bees and bottom board and put them in the freezer. The drone layer should be there also.

Havn't done this, but I would give it a try. Take care to close off your pant legs. Bees at night, without light reference, crawl.

Walt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts