Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In early April, I got 2 packages had hived them onto a mix of drawn comb & foundation. Both had queens when I got them, & I used an includer at the bottom board, so she queen should not have escaped. A few weeks later, she was starting to lay. Anyway, earlier this week, I checked and had only drone brood. Got a new queen and planned to requeen today, but couldn't find the old queen, so the new one is still in the cage. Should I just keep looking til I eventually find her? I took each frame out 1 x 1 and looked very carefully, so I'm not sure I'll have better luck tomorrow.

If I don't find her, what's next? Assume laying worker & shakedown into new box? Use her to make a nuc? How long will she keep? There is a few days worth on candy in the cage.

Thank you.

Diane W

I'm in central PA.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Might want to put her in a nuc with the idea of finding the other queen and then combining the hive and nuc.

peggjam

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Put a queen excluder under an empty super and run every last bee through it. If there's a queen you'll find her. A failig queen will lay 1 egg at a time and half the brood will be drone brood. Any worker brood means there is a queen there. Laying workers don't have a close pattern and they often lay several eggs in a cell. Another thought. Remove all bees from the brood and install it above an excluder. Let the bees come up to cover the brood and then use these bees to start a nuc. They should be young nurse bees. Freeze the brood. All that drone brood will up your mite count.

Dickm

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think this queen wasn't mated properly. Its a new package. She's too new to be failing. Doesn't seem to be any worker brood, just drones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts