Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first inspection today turned up one hive with a ton of drone cells and nothing else. Should I combine with a nuc I have? Do I need to find the drone queen first? Should I freeze those frames of drone brood? Should I dump the bees out, put the nuc on top, and let them find their way back?
Yours, Megan

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
Dont do anything in a hurry. First, drone layer or laying workers. If drone laying queen are you sure she does not have a virus that could be transmitted to the capped drone larvae. Consider that any bees there might be very senior thus of little value. This would be true also with a laying worker scenario; aged to the point of little value. Weigh the potential value against risks of combining. Would you be adding hazard rather than value to the hive you would combine with?

I made the, bad in all ways, move of combining weak hives in spring/early summer that in hindsite had an undiagnosed brood disease. Lost about 8 colonies. I am not suggesting more than a remote possibility that you have anything other than a spent, drone laying queen. Just thoughts that would go through my mind before doing any combines.

In any case, yes, you would have to remove that queen or risk losing the other queen.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts