Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a hive starve and am now down to just one hive left. Really putting a crimp in my plans for 2014. I was doing an inspection of the dead cluster and noticed that it was raising drones. Now I am foundationless so they build what they want. In this area the frame was drawn 1/2 worker size and 1/2 drone almost down the middle of the frame. The winter cluster spanned this area and it was all full of capped brood. Worker on the worker side and drone on the drone side. Has anybody else seen this? I am sure that when they hatch the girls show them the door as there were no drone in the cluster.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cluster spanned about 4 or 5 frames. Except for the fact they were dead they seemed healthy. The queen had laid most of the frames with a solid pattern of worker bee. This area just happened to be drone sized. I believe that the cluster starved due to staying with the brood and poor bee keeping on my part. There remaining honey was on the outside frames away from the cluster. I was feeding mountain camp style above the inner cover.

MP: Neat that they keep some during winter. I did not see any in the cluster.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I learned dry sugar feeding on top of newspaper from another beekeeper. He didn't call it The Mountain Camp Method. That's just something that happened on beesource.com. Michael Johnston doesn't call the method of feeding dry sugar after his beesource screen name himself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts