Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple hives I load down with drone brood removed from hives I feel produce exceptional bees.

I try to keep a caged virgin in these hives which encourages them to accept and care for an excess population of drones and drone brood.

Sometimes she last days sometimes weeks.

Would 2 or more separately caged virgins work just as well?

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Dr. Larry Connor talked about doing this just this past weekend. He put his drone brood frames, four to a deep box, each in between other frames, not all together, w/ a caged virgin queen in the hive also. He didn't detail where in the hive he keeps the VQ. Maybe details are in his "Raising Queens Essentials" book, from Wicwas Press.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Batavia, NY. At the NY Bee Wellness Workshop. He's home now. If he hasn't jetted off to some other conference.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Larry Connor says that his suggestions on drone hives can be found in "Bee Sex Essentials" from wicwaspress.com.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.wicwas.com/sites/default/files/articles/Bee_Culture/BC2003-12.pdf

I had copied that link with the intent to post with my question, I forgot.

That is the basic method I use. I'm not alway as diligent managing and adding worker brood as I should be but I often "knock" some nurse bees into them.

I place the VQ next to a frame of emerging worker brood. I've yet to have them make a new Queen or draw in recently mated queen returning home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts