Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Around mid July I will probably doing the post main flow split. We have some nasty bees in the area so to avoid local drone contamination I was thinking about using a couple drone frames in a couple of my larger honey producing colonies and then grafting from my absolute top colony gentleness and production. Any thoughts on this? I was considering once the frame gets laid up hitting it with oav and then another time right before the cells get capped. I’ve read to do the drone frame 40 days before? I’m thinking since mine is not drawn out about 45-50 would be better. If July 15 is target for splitting I guess I’d have to put the drone frames in June 1 and graft queens July 1 for un matted introduction July 18th. Giving three days from split to remove emergency cells. I plan to have ~20 splits. Does my timeline seem right?

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Unless you can control all of the drones within a mile (maybe more) of your hive you are going to end up with a mixed bag even if you do get a lot of drones out of your hives. Drones will also migrate from hive to hive, so you may have some from many miles away.

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Drones need 24 days to develop, queens 16, difference 8 days.
Drone maturity takes one week. From these facts it is usually (in isolation apiary management) considered that three weeks/ one month earlier is early enough. Raise drones in so many calm colonies as you have.

If you start 45-50 days earlier, the bees do not have time to make two rounds of mature drones, and they would not make them probably anyway, because of the huge number form the first round. Drones need a lot of care taking too. And, some of the first drones may be a bit old by the time of mating flights.

Take queens away to a nuc from the drone nurturing colonies, or remove the drone frames before hatching to special "care centers". Either way, this ensures better care.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Since bees have a threshold for how many drones they want, the only way to really end up with more drones of the genes you want, is to take frames of drones from those hives and give them to hives where you don't want them raising drones and let them finish them. That causes the donor colony to make more drones.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts