Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just popped a drone frame in the freezer, and I'll put it back in tomorrow IF you all think they'd use it to store pollen and honey. It's still early enough that the queen might pack it with more drone eggs, yes? I just saw the first asters in our area, so I know time is limited and I'm starting to worry just a little about my split having enough stores. I think I'll put the feeder back on and see if they won't take it. Do you think they'd use it to store the syrup? I'm actually tempted to get a Snellgrove board and combine the hives for the winter, that's how nervous I am. I know they have the rest of August and probably most of September before the frost starts coming, and the goldenrod and asters are pretty hardy, but still.

My mother hive looks to be doing pretty well, and I found/marked the queen yesterday. I saw good pollen stores, and realized I need to put the queen excluder on the super because the broodnest has crept upstairs.

Maybe I should take the super and put it on the split and just forget about even getting the few frames they've filled up. If I'm running a deep/med/med, that would work okay, wouldn't it?

Thanks for reading through my stream of consicousness!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
If your split has alot of nurse bees which have not graduated to foragers, then feed the hive. If your plan is to get them ready for the winter, they need all the strength they can get. Remember though to keep an eye on the bees back filling the brood nest.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not sure if there are a ton of nurse bees (how do I determine that?), but I do know they're short on comb. They have only drawn maybe half a frame over the last few weeks, and don't seem to be picking up despite what should be a great nectar flow. So I'm going to feed if only to give them the extra boost to draw that comb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts