Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding an inordinate number of (mostly) drones on the ground in front of one of my booming hives. I picked up 450 carcasses, a big layer of them, the result of less than a week of deposition, and this morning a couple of hundred are crawling around. It's really about 90% drones and 10% workers. Some appear to hve been pulled from their cells before fully developing, but most are mature. They don't seem to be able to fly, but I'm not noticing either k-wing or deformed wing.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Given the fact that it's just "one of your booming hives" I would tend to agree. My guess is an inspection would probably confirm a high mite load. Find an area of drone brood, scratch it open and tap the exposed pupae out on a white lid. If it looks like it's been sprinkled with pepper......there's yer sign.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Given that it is a booming hive, okay to wait till main flow is over to treat? That would mean waiting a month. Fewer boxes to move around and treatment more effective...

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
First decide if it is, in fact, a varroa problem. As a physician might say, "first do no harm". What you describe is unusual. I'm just making my best guess. If it is a varroa issue, there are some treatment options (though probably not as effective) that would allow you to keep your honey boxes on your hive.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awaiting diagnosis from Beltsville. Also, my treatment choices are either formic or oxalic, both of which I've used in the past. So, little harm done. I have come to feel that routine, prophylactic treatment with either of these is a good thing, even necessary to keep hive strong. Just didnt do that when i should have this year (sigh).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts