Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On one of my hives I have a frame that is 100% drone comb, on a foundation less frame. It came from a nuc I bought last year. The queen continually lays drones in it, and that hive is typically overflowing with drones because of it.

Should I keep it in there and let them do their thing? The amount of drones in that hive is typically excessive, I was thinking of maybe freezing it every few months to help with mites and keep the drone numbers in check. The drones seem to all hang out in the top super, probably to hide from the workers who are trying to kick them out.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Using it to freeze drone brood is a good idea or just move it to where the bees are storing honey and they will use it for stores. You can also just cut it out and pitch it, it's totally up to you. :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would do what WWW suggested. When I have empty drone comb that bad I pitch it. If its got some honey in it then I'll move it to the very farthest outside and let them back fill it.

I also took the suggestion of Randy Oliver and made some frames that will allow you to cut out the drones for mites.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/fighting-varroa-biotechnical-tactics-ii/ It's worth the reading if you haven't already.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I run mostly TBH and do crush and strain so I'd toss it in the back and let it get filled with honey.

Or I might just feed it to the chickens if I'm in the mood. Those ladies simply go crazy for a bit of brood.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Put it outside the brood nest and likely they will quit raising drones. The bees determine where the queen lays, and if you have a drone comb smack in the middle of the brood nest, they will keep filling it with brood.

I keep mine one or two frames in from the outside in an upper brood box, so they only use it in the spring. Full of honey now, although not capped.

Peter

·
Registered
370 Posts
After freezing a full frame of capped drone do you simply put it back in the hive or do you scratch the caps? I assume the bees will open it up and toss the dead larvae but never done it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.