Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be possible to use two drone foundations in a deep box and keep them rotatated out to the freezer for mite and swarm control as you could always have a frame not filled in the hive? Im a newbee and a I get a great look at others ideas here.I won't get my bees until next Saturday so I spend a lot of time trying to learn from others real world experience. Thanks,Ken

·
Registered
268 Posts
There was an article recently in Bee Culture supporting this. 2 frames of drone comb at the outsides of the brood box. When full, pull just one and replace it with an empty. The bees like to have some drones going. About 15% the article said.

When the new frame starts filling well, replace that old one with your dronesickle. The girls will clean it out and start over. It also said to replace brood comb that has a lot of drone cells. It's no good to have clumps of them in the cluster once winter comes.

I'm just starting out too. Soundel like good advice so I'm following it. Pictures here.

·
Registered
268 Posts
There was an article recently in Bee Culture supporting this. 2 frames of drone comb at the outsides of the brood box. When full, pull just one and replace it with an empty. The bees like to have some drones going. About 15% the article said.

When the new frame starts filling well, replace that old one with your dronesickle. The girls will clean it out and start over. It also said to replace brood comb that has a lot of drone cells. It's no good to have clumps of them in the cluster once winter comes.

I'm just starting out too. Sounded like good advice so I'm following it. Pictures here.

[ April 16, 2006, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Tom Chaudoir ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts