Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject is the question.

I'm just wondering if there is a definitive answer. I've heard they will, reluctantly.

Thanks,

Riversong6

·
Registered
110 Posts
Had this happen in my main hive this year, yes they will. They’ll store hone while they’re still capped brood.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The subject is the question.

I'm just wondering if there is a definitive answer. I've heard they will, reluctantly.

Thanks,

Riversong6
They will fill it with honey just the same as the regular comb. I suspect (but cannot prove) they do not put pollen in it as readily, from my limited observation.

·
Registered
196 Posts
That's my observation as well bushpilot. Here's a frame from directly over the center of the broodnest.

they leave space for the queen to lay but don't usually pack it will pollen. About 70% of my supers are on drone foundation - it takes less wax to build and I also think it extracts better as there's less 'wall' for the honey to cling to.

But ... they are a pain if the queen sneaks above the excluder and lays up a couple of boxes of them mid-season ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Drone comb in a super - will bees store honey in it after the drones all emerge?
I don't normally 'super' hives as a rule, but this year has been exceptional - so I've been putting deeps over brood boxes, into many of which I've needed to insert several undrawn frames.
So - not only will they happily store honey in pre-drawn drone comb, but I now see them drawing-out new drone combs and then storing honey in them.
LJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts