Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The bees are working wide open. Bringing in so much pollen. They're working the dandelion, winter honeysuckle, elms, maple and hen bit right now. One hive has quite a bit of capped drone brood, along with worker capped brood. I'm thinking I should consider replacing this queen early this year. Or maybe it's not a bad thing to start populating the air with drones early? What do you think for middle Alabama time frame drone build up?

Other hives have lots of worker capped brood.
IMG_2514 drone cells.jpg There is larvae in cells between drone and worker cells.

IMG_2517 drone cells.jpg

This frame is from another hive.
IMG_2526 capped brood.jpg

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are on comb from last fall, so I imagine it had some drone cells. I didn't think about that. Thanks for your help. I guess it's not a bad thing to have some drones ready early.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im in Montgomery and saw a drone come out of one of my hives the other day. And a friend of mine was working in Mobile last week and ran across a swarm. I guess they are getting really active already

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, sounds like it's not abnormal. I see AU bees handled a swarm on Feb. 7th in Auburn. The activity outside the hives is incredible for so early. Spring in Alabama is so short and unpredictable!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have drones and drone brood in about half of my hives now. That is such a pretty brood pattern, I almost hate for you to pinch that queen. I might just drive up there and get her from you!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts