Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The swarm I captured earlier this week has been consuming a quart about every two or three hours today. They put down about two gallons yesterday.

Has anyone seen that kind of volume before? I guess I will be heading to Costco for more sugar.

I have never had bees take it so fast. I have had them take around three quarts in a day before but this is something! I guess they really are in wax building mode.

·
Registered
110 Posts
What type of feeder are you using? Just make sure your feeder isn't leaking.

This does seem extreme. However I tested out to see how much my bees could take down this spring and was amazed. I used a 2 Gallon Top Feeder from Man Lake and they took down 2 gallons in 4 days. This was a 3lb package at about week 7. I was amazed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Whew, man your girls are slamming the 1:1. Keep giving it to them. They will put it to good use. That's a lot of syrup, I don't care who you are.

·
Registered
375 Posts
You might check for robbing. I added some 1:1 to help boost a hive from a trap out. The neighborhood bees found out and it was frenzy at the hive. There were some beautiful black bees. Too bad they're not mine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts