Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New BK this year, I installed my 2 packages this past Sunday. Took out the queen cage on Wednesday and I'm going to try and not open it till a week from tomorrow. My hives are only 2 or 3 feet apart, is drifting a problem with new package bee's when the hives are that close? I go and watch them every day for a bit and it seems to me one hive is bringing in more pollen than the other. But it could be my imagination too. That is what got me to thinking about drifting.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I keep mine 15 inches apart with little to no issues. If using a screened bottom board be sure the slide in board is in or drifting could be an issue.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I recently moved 5 of my hives into a bee-super-highrise-condo (49 frame langstroth deep, with internal dividers to turn it into 5x 8 frame deeps)

Some of the hives were stronger or weaker before, but I have noticed that the bees seem to have redistributed themselves more evenly. Three hives have italian and two have russian queens, I have noticed now that when you open a box you see different colored workers from the different queens. It might be because the queen scent carries over from the other hives and they have acclimated, but it's interesting because it seems like the stronger hives are now propping up the weaker hives which is kind of nice.

I'm not sure what will happen when they hatch a new queen and she goes on a mating flight, she might go back to the wrong box and get slaughtered.

It seems like bees drift and it's not really a problem most of the time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep mine 15 inches apart with little to no issues. If using a screened bottom board be sure the slide in board is in or drifting could be an issue.
I slid the board in on Monday because all the bee's were wanting to cluster on the bottom of one hive.

Thanks
Greg

·
Registered
194 Posts
I started 2 packages about 5 ft apart, same time. Definite drift for the first couple days while they claimed their home. I would not worry too much now. Let them build up and once you get a good nuc sized hive going, you can debate moving frames of brood from one to the other to equalize the populations if you are concerned about a super strong vs. weak hive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts