Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
,2.jpg ,3.jpg Image-1,1.jpg Image-1.jpg

Can someone please tell me what I'm looking at? This package was installed 4/18. When checked on 4/25 queen was out of cage. On 5/8 I noticed that they were not taking the syrup from the frame feeder. Today was the first inspection. There was adequate (but not great) capped brood present on at least 4 partial frames. It's a little spotty as can be seen in the pics with what appears to be dead larva here and there, dried up and yellowish. A few had small holes in the partial caps.

Is this something to be concerned about? Otherwise they seem to be going about their business with pollen going in, they are a little "hot" as they refused to leave me alone even back at the shed 30 minutes later. I know better than to swat but did it anyway and was rewarded.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
Not sure what it is, but it's definitely not what I initially thought from your description, which was dried scales of EFB. Pollen is a good explanation, placed there when the brood area was growing outward and then not removed as the brood area expanded beyond it. You might take a toothpick and pull a few out to look at them.

Nancy

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
Is this something to be concerned about?
No. The brood pattern looks good and solid, other than the cells where the bees have put pollen. Your pics show a nice healthy hive.

they are a little "hot" as they refused to leave me alone even back at the shed 30 minutes later.
Still bugging you 30 minutes later is a concern, that would be too aggressive for me, anyway. But realise that package bees can be just any old mutts, but what matters is the queen. Hopefully she will be of a good strain, and once her own progeny start to take over you will see a change in the temperament of the hive.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, that's good to know. :) Thanks! After 100% winter losses the last 3 years I want to be sure and check everything. I guess I'm seeing shadows here and there that makes it look like a curved shape.

Any reason why they aren't taking syrup? We emptied it today and refilled with fresh but what was dumped smelled and looked fine.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
If there is natural nectar in good quantities they can stop taking syrup. Or, could be they are out of room to store it.

Re losing hives, the hive is healthy for now. But that does not mean it cannot be lost later. Package bees typically have little or no mite resistance, so they will need to be treated for mites in fall, regardless how good they may seem to look, or, they can be gone by the next spring.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any reason why they aren't taking syrup? We emptied it today and refilled with fresh but what was dumped smelled and looked fine.
I'm just a bit west of you. Mine quit taking syrup a couple weeks ago when the clover really started to bloom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts