Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
It’s been a while since I’ve seen recipes posted on here, but there has been in the past. Do a search for pollen sub recipes. If I remember right they involved whole egg powder tho.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
If you are trying to feed the bees, it is hard to match the formula the Dr. Gordon Wardell came up with. Mega Bee is the best stuff out there, and thus, I've given up trying to beat the stuff. Most of us find that the patties (already wet and mixed up) are better than the powder. If you're a commercial or sideliner, they are happy to make up a pallet.

The better beekeepers are placing 2 smallish patties between the 2 deeps (right in the cluster), with room to pass through, not a big patty above them.

Most pollen substitute patties are based on brewers' yeast, and other things, including dessicated eggs are added to get the amino acid balance idealized for honeybees. Take a look into the old research involving bee nutrition and you'll see the balance that Megabee and all the knock-offs by the bee supply companies are trying to make. At least you'll be close to their dietary needs that way. Best of luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts