Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to my site. There I've got instructions and pictures on how to build a dresser drawer swarm trap. http://www.fitzpatrickfarm.com/index.php?page=swarm-traps
Click on step one for the next page and so on.

Last year out of the 3 sets of traps I made from the water bed I used in the pictures I cought two swarms of bees. 2/3 aint bad, although one was really late and didn't survive this winter.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
IMHO.... Any swarm trap that does not contain at least 5 STANDARD beekeeping deep frames, is not worth having.

Build NUC's instead -- you can always use em for splits.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I give you credit [admire] for your ingenuity in making swarm traps [and other things] out of found objects or materials. Around here, people throw out a lot of things on the terrace by the street that might make traps. Some recycling centers have that to. Some things would be too heavy, or have other problems.

I have a couple of thick cardboard 25-30 gallon barrels that I thought would make nice traps, but now have to think of a way to add frames that would be easy to remove and place in a nuc or hive body.

If a trap doesn't have a convenient/efficient way of using and removing frames of comb after bees have moved in, it's like doing a cutout and rubber banding the comb in frames. Which can be done also. You did show that in one of the photos.

I guess some of these ideas come from the cone 'planter' swarm traps in the catalogues. They all work well if one can get to them shortly after a swarm moves in and get them into a regular hive of some kind.

·
Registered
760 Posts
yeah - im all for building and using old scraps but you have to keep it simple
and trust me you will run out of room just keeking the standard items let alone a bulky dresser -

for my bait boxes i just took some 3/4 ply wood and rabbeted the frame rest in and screwed the parts together - i put a top and bottem on and called it a trap - made 10 of them from 2 sheets of plywood (under $50) for the whole project

sure the ply might only last 3-4 years but if i get 1 swarm it will have paid for it

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree that it's better to just use 5 deep or several medium frames (if you're all mediums). Part of the reason I'll use dresser drawers are that they are easy and quick, 2 screws a chunk of comb and drill a hole. You could also put a frame or two in the boxes if you were careful to space them.

I might later on have more time to work on building a box, making it nice, and painting it to make it last. Although I've found out that if you don't put up a swarm trap you don't catch anything. Also the more you put up the better your odds. So for someone beginning this is a quick project to get it out there. It is a learning experience cutting and rubber banding combs into frames, but it's not all that bad. Dresser drawers are cheap and available so I say go for it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts