Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got two hives, one was started from a 5 frame nuc and the other from five frames of brood and the guy dumped about 5lbs of bees into it for me. I am starting with all new frames. I was wondering how long does it take the bees to get their wax scales kicked into action and start drawing wax?

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Feed them 1:1 syrup and they'll start drawing comb immediately. If you have a nectar flow going they'll draw comb as they need it and will stop taking the syrup.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They are eating my syrup at a rate of 1quart/day and half. They are also working mimosa, sourwood trees, and white clover. I just started these hives about five weeks ago and they may not have enough worker bees yet. Although they have doubled in the number of bees since they were started. I opened them this weekend and I saw several larva so I am thinking that maybe they will start increasing the population quickly.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I live an hour or so south of you. I can tell you the flow is over down here. Yours may last a week longer. This heat has put down the clover alot earlier than most years, too.
Feed, feed, feed....
Now that I've harvested, I will be splitting some. I will feed heavy until they can build back up to a full brood chamber(I run single deeps)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts