Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
The picture with that privet blooming was taken in June - when the privet is blooming in WI.
My stuff out on the porch in spring/summer not just being stored, it also per-annualy drags down swarms.
Win-win.

My rain soaked porch - was pictured yesterday.
The picture with the privet blooming comes up as the 4th picture of the series of photos in post 17 with the opening comment "My porch today- how I store combs."
But it makes sense it was taken in June not October.

·
Registered
14 Posts

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
The only problem with BT is it’s not effective over 86 degree, otherwise you can’t beat it.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The only problem with BT is it’s not effective over 86 degree, otherwise you can’t beat it.
I would like to read more about this as I have treated some supers already and we have had tempetures in excess of 86 degrees several times. I would hate to have a nasty surprise next Spring.

Thanks, Alex

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
You are getting a bunch of good info on storing frames outside but look at where these poster are located.............up north in cold climates! More than likely they have already had a frost for the year. You are in Texas and might not see a frost until November or December, them northern guys will be shoveling snow by then. Storing those frames outside will end in disaster if you ask me. As said above mice, cats, *****, dogs and yes moths. If you put a clear plastic cover over them then you almost certainly just made a solar wax melter.

I freeze if the comb has been sitting for a while, or if they are supers that the bees have just cleaned up spray and store with out freezing.

Bt A is the way to go for sure. Bacillus thuringiensis aizawai. You can buy the bottle of it from bee supply house under the name certan, kind of pricey for no more than you get. This comes in a thick syrupy liquid.
Get the same thing in a powder form from most any good garden center or off line. A 1/2 pound of it will last you a good while. Mix 2 teaspoon to the gallon of water. I use a two gallon garden sprayer to get the mix into the bottom of the cells. No need to drench them just get a good mist into the bottoms of the cells. Use what ever you mix up in two days or less, it will go rancid. Stack them in your rack and let them dry, very important, if stored wet they will mold. After drying put an outer cover upside down and then stack your supers up ending with another outer cover. I put a sheet of newspaper in between the supers to act as a gasket of sorts to help seal the cracks and also if a moth does get in to lay eggs she is confined to one super. Any moth larva that does hatch out will start to chew comb and when they ingest the Bt A the bacteria will come to life and eat the worm from the inside out. Usually will not make it more than two inches.

1 pound bag for $25, will last you and a couple of buddies for a very long time.

5 oz. bottle makes approx 3 quarts for $35

I would be very interested in you results if you store outside in you rack over the winter. Please post the results of your outside storage next spring.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts