Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what I’ve done to store drawn comb. I built two of these so I could space the frames about an inch apart. What’s not shown in the photo is the clear corrugated panel top to keep rain out. I’ll store both just under the roof line of one of my barn lean-to’s.
im not a fan of moth crystals and my attempts last year to seal up supers with drawn frames met with total failure.
Plant Sky Tree Natural landscape Wood

·
Registered
378 Posts
have you looked into BT for beeswax? Certan is the brand name. it is pretty cheap if you are only doing 100 or so deep frames and is supposed to work very well. since bees dont eat wax only produce it and chew it up, this should be harmless.

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
A) Animals will get in there and chew them apart.
B) sunlight destroys wax over time

I put out some wax on a block of wood all summer and it was pretty much destroyed by the end of the season just from sunlight.

·
Registered
7,030 Posts
Do you have male dogs, coyotes etc. That setup looks like an invitation to **** a leg! Hard to win against all the bugs and beasties.:(

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Interesting idea ...

I do something similar, by storing drawn frames in the roof-space of a commercial greenhouse over winter, suspended between crop support wires. Plenty of light up there to deter the moths, yet not enough UV to cause wax deterioration.

As 'belt and braces', I treat all frames to be stored in this way to at least 24 hours in a freezer, and usually 48, to ensure that they're moth-free before hanging 'em up.

No problems to date.
LJ

·
Registered
584 Posts
I will certainly second freezing. One of the most important things you can do before storage.

Reactions: Zippy69

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is storing in a freezer the only real answer? Or is it just important to freeze them before storing in say a closet?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Simply stacking the boxes on their side so that the frames are open to wind and day light is sufficient enough mitigation.
No need to go crazy about it.
Kind of like pictured - just try this and see for yourself.
Don't look for problems where they don't really exist. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
473 Posts
Simply stacking the boxes on their side so that the frames are open to wind and day light is sufficient enough mitigation.
Rain / snow doesnt ruin the comb?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Rain / snow doesnt ruin the comb?
Of course not. :) It is bees wax.
Certainly, you don't want water to freeze in the comb - that will end badly. Otherwise does not matter.

OK, it makes sense to protect the wood some - so some overheard roofing is good (for around the year storage).
But in summer - I don't give a hoot - everything dries off before I finish my pizza.

I don't know about this people losing their minds over nothing.
Freeze, lock them up, yaddah, yaddah....

The more open the combs are to the wind and light, the safer they are.
Neither mice or moths like wind or light. They hate it.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
In my case, combs to be stored over winter are brood-combs originating from dead-outs which have occurred late in the season, and there is a pretty good chance that wax moths will have already laid eggs in one or more of them. If I were to store those combs fully exposed to light but without prior freezing, then to be sure they would never be completely trashed - that is, with pads of thick 'wool' being built between them - but there would still be some damage from the developing larvae 'tracking' their way through the comb itself as they feed. I find that a day or two in the freezer is sufficient to kill any eggs or young wax moth larvae present, and once such combs are hung up in the light, the chance of wax moths then laying eggs in them is very low indeed. Freezing for a day or two is therefore cheap insurance - imo, of course
LJ

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have also wrapped my hive bodies with the packing plastic wrap. you see them around pallets in big stores. I then freeze the deeps, mediums, shallows for 48 hours, needs to be at least this long in a freezer. Then once it is out this will store where ever you want because it is moths or beetles cant get in and the stuff inside is dead. rain will absolutly ruin comb. every beekeeper tries to break the mold only to find ruin of one of the most valuable things, drawn comb.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,379 Posts
you store them there all winter?

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
you store them there all winter?
Some, but space is limited (besides, this is still a porch, not storage).

I normally put them under the porch but as soon as I cover them too much - mice move in.
So need to cover less so that one can see thru the frames and the wind blows thru also and the mice can not huddle.

I also store some in the garage after cold sets in - still there is some pressure from the moths in the garage.
In the open is the best.
I plan to stand the boxes on their sides, cover the top from heavy rain with some tarp, and call it done.

A couple of years ago I got a bunch of frames for free - because the person stored them in the garage and by March there we covered by the moths.
He just gave me about 25-30 frames.
Well, I took the loot and promptly scattered them outside into the March weather (which is nasty here as you know).
Rain and cold quickly handled the moths.
Fine frames - bees patched up what was damaged.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The thing I don't like about open storage is that we have mice and rats and we need cats to control them. Mice come out at night and crawl on everything, the cats then climb on everything because they smell the mice. If left in the supers and leaned against a wall or even on a shelf, the males cats will mark them. Even the thought of this turns my stomach.
Then there are the raccoons, they crawl on everything because they are even more curious than cats.
Indoor hanging might work, but one would need lights which would have to be checked often because they do burn out. I am very bad about anything out of sight really is out of mind until I need it.
Bt A is the method that suits me best. I bought a Fimco 15 gallon spray rig with a 20 ft. hose that I use exclusively for Bt A. I have a 30 ft. extension ladder I place on supers to lay the frames on prior to treatment. No more bending over to spray or flip the frames or having to move the spray rig. After the frames thoroughly dry I put them back in the supers before stacking them under a lean-to. It works for me.
Oh yea, I cycle them through the freezer before spraying.

Alex

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
I store my drawn frames outside, on pallets that are covered with 1/8" hardware cloth to keep rodents out. Before stacking I treat with BT. Each yard has a similar stack.
In this one is a 6 frame nuc and a double 4/4 nuc, some feeder shims, some cull boxes (x) full of frames and the rest mostly honey supers in both deep and medium sizes. Cedar and wild black cherry trees form a wind block along a fence on the NE side where our most forceful winter weather, nor'easters, comes out of.
Plant Tree Apiary Wood Rectangle

·
Registered
7,529 Posts
Is that privet blooming in the background in October in WI?
The picture with that privet blooming was taken in June - when the privet is blooming in WI.
My stuff out on the porch in spring/summer not just being stored, it also per-annualy drags down swarms.
Win-win.

My rain soaked porch - was pictured yesterday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts