Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble getting the girls to draw out comb foundation. Another bee keeper told me that I was putting new wax foundation over a queen a excluder and that was the reason they would not draw the comb. Any thoughts on how to get them to draw comb quicker? The foundation has been there for almost a month.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would try feeding them. If there isnt enough nectar they really dont have a reason to build comb. Unless its a super your just going to have to be patient.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Pull the excluder out now ! Leave the super on and wait until you see the bees raising some brood in the super. Then shake the bees out of the super, put the excluder back on and put the super back on the hive.

Seems like a lot of trouble, but sometimes that is the only way to get em started.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Greetings pamlico, bees only draw comb on a honeyflow, when they need the space. You can create an artificial honeyflow by feeding. They will damage the foundation if there is no honeyflow. Chances are they have "frosted" and chewed holes in what you have already put on them.
The best policy is not to put foundation on them until you see definite signs of a good honeyflow ( glistening nectar and white specks of new wax on dark comb ). This can happen rather suddenly so you need to check them every day or two if you expect a honeyflow. If you are a newbie you may not have any dark comb yet.
Queen excluders are honey excluders. They should be used very sparingly. It is very unlikely that the queen will lay in new white comb if she has dark comb that has been used for brood rearing before. Being too crowded can "force" the queen into "new" comb also.
If you are a beginner I would only give them one frame of foundation at a time until the brood super is fully drawn. Just keep moving the honey-filled frame on the side outward and putting a frame of foundation between it and the most outward brood frame.
You are not likely to get them started in a new super until you have a good honeyflow.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
use a top entance-gives them a push. good luck,mike

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
1st of all queen excluders are an important tool. You have to know how to use them. They are not honey excluders!

That being said, pull the excluder and use it at at a later date like after you have drawn out combs. For now, pull two frames of honey out of the lower hive body/ brood chamber and place them in the center of your super
You need to move two drawn out combs of honey above the excluder to bait the bees into the excluder.

You might be a little early in supering a hive in your area.
Try using an inside feeder and fill it with 2:1 sugar syrup.

good luck,
Ernie

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I got the impression that he was trying to get them to start drawing "comb foundation", for cut comb or something similar. For that he will need an excluder on but will need a better flow to get the job done.

If by "comb foundation" he is just meaning foundation for drawn comb, that question has been answered in this thread and I know of at least a different thread for each of the last two days.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I do a lot of comb honey and haven't used an excluder in years. I heard Lloyd Spears at a Master Beekeeper seminar said "I'm not a good enough beekeeper to use an excluder." Since I would consider Lloyd a master beekeeper, and the subject was comb honey, I would say beginners are seldom good enough beekeepers to be able to use an excluder especially with comb honey.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts