Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas on how I can get some more brood comb drawn out foundationless after honey flow to get a jump on next year. I went totally foundationless in all but 2 of my 7 hives this year. I crushed a strained only 8 frames from these hives and realized that I need them to have that comb for next year. I have some of that honey left that I intend to feed back but wanted to get comb drawn as a result. Thinking about putting them in a 5 frame nuc one at a time untill they draw it out, but I dont want drone comb. Any ideas??

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm fairly new at this, but also doing foundationless, and have read a lot about it. My guess is that you'll get recommendations to feed 1:1 sugar syrup to encourage comb building. It's almost like you're starting again in spring -- if you give them the empty frames, they'll probably get at building comb again.

You may also hear Michael Bush say that if the bees want drones, they'll build drone comb, and that it's counter-productive to try to stop them. (I'll add to that my bet that, because, come winter the gals kick out the drones, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if by mid-summer they slow down on building drone comb.)

Good luck on getting strong replies. I'm interested to see what advice folks will offer.

Mig

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
if you're willing to feed'em,now would be a good time to make splits. if they dont build up enough to overwinter, combine'em and then take the extra frames for next year.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes i do want to extract honey, yes I am running all deeps. I want at this point to get drawn brood comb to help the build up for next year. I want to try to get ahead of the game for next spring. I kept alot of the extracted honey to feed back to them thinking they would draw out more but the flow ended and they slowed way down on making more comb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts