Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second attempt at beekeeping. I installed a 3# package on march 27th. I have been feeding them since then. The hive is doing great. I started with a deep with wire foundation. They have drawn that out. I added a medium for brood last week. But I got to thinking. If I were to add a honey super to this hive do I continue to feed them in order to get drawn comb for my honey super? I think they will store suger water in the super. Do I let them draw as much comb as possible this year in order to have drawn comb to collect honey next year? The question is even a little confusing so I appreciate wny help I can get.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Last year I left the feeders on even when I put on the super and they drew out comb for me to use this year. You just have to know if they build and draw you really wont have honey.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Once you get the brood nest drawn the way you want it, remove the feeder and given them the extracting super. You do not want to mix syrup with honey in the extracting super. And even if you plan to leave the extracting super on for their winter stores, honey is much better for them than sugar syrup. But the best part of it is, you'll want some of your own honey this year....trust me on that one! Even if it's just one frame.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
let'em fill a super with sugar water. if they dont use it up in the dearth this summer, you can put it above the inner cover and they will move it down for the winter and you'll have comb for next year. good luck,mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts