Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I can do to get rid of the dragonflies cruising my bee yard? Must have been thirty or more of them this afternoon.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
How good are you with a BB gun?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
They can make queen rearing very dicey. I witnessed some poetic justice a number of years ago. A dragonfly grabbed a bee and had her clasped beneath it and was making off with it and then appeared to have engine problems. They made an emergency landing and the bee took off but the dragon fly seemed to be in trouble. Lasted about a minute, then went still. I went to examine it and found a torn out stinger dead center amongst the leg attachment points. No free lunch for that one. Too bad the bee did not survive but she likely saved a lot of her brothers and sisters!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have not seen a dragon fly all year, We are usually swamped with them by now. Now that I say that they will be dragonflies everywhere this afternoon.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I think the dragonfly threat is way overstated. I live in an area with lots of wetlands and a lot of dragonflies around the apiary. Rarely do I have a queen not return to a mating nuc.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Naturally I can't say that it is all dragonflies, and not a combination of birds increasing in the area at the same time as dragonflies emerge, but historically my mating nucs experience a 40% failure rate after I see them flying over the apiary.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Naturally I can't say that it is all dragonflies, and not a combination of birds increasing in the area at the same time as dragonflies emerge, but historically my mating nucs experience a 40% failure rate after I see them flying over the apiary.
With 5000 species of dragonflies in the world I guess its possible the species here mostly feeds on mosquitoes and flies. Arkansas may be a different story.

·
Moderator - In Memorium
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Bees, its what's for dinner. The big blue ones here in Virginia sure seem to like nice fat juicy queens. In another month, my returned percentage will drop significantly.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I have not seen a dragon fly all year, We are usually swamped with them by now. Now that I say that they will be dragonflies everywhere this afternoon.
I am about 20 miles from Greg and I have only seen 1 this year so far but those little tarringer birds are getting their bellies full of bees.I have about 50 some odd hives and nucs here so a couple birds are not much of a problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts