Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of you have dragonflies gobbling up foragers as they leave or approach the hive ??

Lately a few have been conveniently hovering in front of the hive gobbling up some of my precious workers ........ I have no idea how many they might devour in a day .... ?????

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Yes, this is very common in my area too. I don't mind too much considering all the value that dragonflies bring in insect control. I too have no idea what degree of losses that the hives are taking, but in my area, the dragonflies don't reach critical mass until after the main flow, so I suspect that the impact on honey production is minimal. Of course, if they were to get a virgin or newly mated queen, then the impact would be much more direct.

Overall, I'll take the dragonflies over the mosquitoes and black flies any day! If that means feeding them some worker bees or drones and even an occasional queen, then I'm OK with that.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I have always loved to watch dragonflies. They can't eat that much. actually, they are amazing hunters, and marvelous to watch.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I live on the Dan River in NC. 4 years ago there was so many dragon flies that it reduced the number of queens returning to the mating nuc's by 50%. They would attack the drones and the queens because they are slower moving and easier to catch. I imagined I could hear them chewing on my queens.
I have heard that they consume many times their weight each day in insects.
Frank Wyatt
WG Bee Farm
Eden, NC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts