Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed dragonflies around my hives the last few days. I am concerned that they might deplete my bee population. Has anybody suggestions on how to dispose of them?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would just let them be, they might take a few of your bees, but I really doubt it will make an impact on the overall population. Consider it survival of the fittest.

Not to mention dragonflies also eat many other not-so-beneficial insects.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have seen dragonflies around the hives as well. Sometimes they try to get a bee, but they don't catch them. I've noticed that other flying insects seem to be attracted to the area, perhaps those are what thte dragonflies are after.
Regardless, it seems that your population of bees would not be affected.

·
Registered
141 Posts
A month ago I looked up dragon flies and it seems they love mosquitoes. I did not see where they ate bees but I did not look. Anyway as bad as the mosquitoes are around here they can have a few bees as long as they keep the mosquitoes down. I have to have the bee suit on not for the bees but the mosquitoes because they are so thick.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is interesting that you say that you seem to have more queenless hives with dragonflies around. I am having a bad problem with losing queens and colonies unable to raise new ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts