Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the heck attracts a LOAD of dragon flies, and is it an accurate statement that they'll eat bees? We've a mess of them in our yard. Not the neighbors, not down the road...not around the hive- just in the front yard of our little half acre.

I'm really not a worry wort- perhaps a curious wort- I always thought dragon flies ate gnats and the like...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Dragonflies are voracious predators as immatures while they are aquatic, but even the adults have incredible appetites and flying abilities. I've seen them feasting on Yellow Jackets, intercepting them as they leave colonies. Don't think I've seen them actually capturing honey bees, but they are often around honey bee nests, so I bet they snag a few.

But they expend a good deal of time defending choice areas to rest and do a little 'sumthin' sumthin'. Your front yard may be the equivalent of an Odonata singles bar!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Theirs dragonflies in my bee yard all summer long.They have no problem picking bees out of the air. Same with those dam swallows! It wouldent bother me to much if they just ate the drones.:D

Todd64

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am basically on a hill, not low. We planted a bunch of sunflowers in the front yard, and lately there have been more yellow jackets than bees out there. Hopefully those critters were after skeeters and the yellow jackets...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
When we were kids, Dad had a bee keeper place hives on our farm. We learned then that dragonflies are bee predators. We would sometimes walk out to the apiary area and watch the bees come & go. In the evening time, there would be tons of dragonflies hovering in the flyway area waiting for returning bees from alfalfa fields nearby. It reminded me of scenes from some action war movies with a massive group of helicopters hovering in wait. They probably won't hurt your colony population, but will pick off an occasional bee.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah- currently piloting some YJ traps with no success. Those YJ's are all over our sunflowers...which I planted in hopes our bees would get to the pollen

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
B_Reeves= that about sums it up! Maybe I won't have to pay for propane to run the mosquito magnet this summer!

·
Registered
375 Posts
So odd to see this post considering I went out to the garden yesterday and there were about 10 dragonflies. We NEVER have dragonflies. I wondered why all of a sudden they appeared. But, we have honeybees, and a serious yellow jacket/wasp problem this year. Now I know what the DF's are doing. Thanks for the info!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts