Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Dr. Jeffery Pettis Steps Down

11K views 32 replies 13 participants last post by  peterloringborst 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I can certainly understand being unfulfilled by administration and political rules, also the time spent with family. The concern that I have is that I hope he is not going to work for some chemical company where the financial benefits would certainly be greater, and his research be stuffed in the closet.
We need more researchers who tell it like it is, he has certainly been a credit for all of us beekeepers. Is he leaving the USDA, or just resigning his chair position?

#7 ·
Something is puzzling here ! I just went back through the info on Pettis testimony during the past couple of years. About a year ago he was convinced that imidicloprids were the problem even at sub lethal doses. During the House Committee hearings he seems to contradict that theory. Has anyone else noticed this? Maybe he was being told what to say and could not express his own findings for fear of the higher authority. Probably a good reason to step down.

#9 ·
About a year ago he was convinced that imidicloprids were the problem even at sub lethal doses. During the House Committee hearings he seems to contradict that theory.
Or maybe after gathering more data, the data started to point in different directions ?

I had the pleasure of meeting Dr Pettis at an event a couple weeks back. He certainly came across as a 'down to earth' fella, that knew his way thru beehives. His presentation on preliminary research into queen failure was enlightening to say the least. The presentation was in Beaverlodge Alberta, and, one of the more interesting things (to me), was listening to folks discuss the amount of bureaucracy involved in getting to travel to an event out of the country, at another leading research center.

After talking to him 1 on 1 in the sessions and during coffee breaks, then listening to his presentation, I would not be at all surprised if the reasons are simply to get out of the administration, and back to doing hands on research. If that happens to be thru another channel that pays better, good for him.

#8 ·
The study about undetectable levels of imidacloprid was so seriously flawed that it isn't surprising that he has taken a different pov. Bees (untreated ones) that died in their cages bef9re the experiment to was over were simply discarded and not tested for nosema infection. One whole cage of controls died and we're not tested....if they did have nosema the conclusions would have been the opposite. Also note that he was willing to be interviewed by European film crews about these findings before they were published....but not with any beekeepers or researchers in the u.s.

#10 ·
Not really sold on the more data theory, probably much more data out there that has not been made public. I will buy the theory that the administration red tape has a lot to do with it. Can't blame the ole boy for telling them to take the job and shove it, hopefully his research will not be hindered in the future. As far as better pay, hope he hits a home run!!

#11 ·
A Note From Jeff Pettis

Dear Colleagues and Friends,
I would like to address the recent decision by ARS to change the leadership of the Beltsville Bee Laboratory. While I have strong reservations about this decision, I do not wish to challenge it. The truth is I have been stretched too thin over the past few years to meet all the demands of the Research Leader position and my own research. The administrative aspects of my job as Research Leader have suffered because my research took precedence over administrative responsibilities. I am looking forward to a full return to an applied research agenda focusing on addressing your concerns as stakeholders.
Looking toward the future direction and leadership of the lab, it is important that you, the stakeholders have a direct line of communication to the decision makers who drive the research agenda. I am very proud of the relationship I have built with the industry and feel this is crucial to meeting your needs through research. Please continue to be a strong voice with ARS.
I appreciate the tremendous outpouring of support from all of you and I look forward to working with you as before. As always, I will continue to conduct research with the stakeholders' best interests in mind.
I thank you for the support and I look forward to our continued partnership in addressing beekeeping and pollinator health issues.
Thanks
Jeff Pettis

#16 ·
Who from? What's the source? Does your e-mail say why, such as volunteering to step down?

Why do we wish to speculate about this? What's wrong w/ Dr. Pettis' own explanation? Who benefits by reading anymore into this than what has been presented?

#17 ·
I don't see much speculation. From his own document:
"I would like to address the recent decision by ARS to change the leadership of the Beltsville Bee Laboratory. While I have strong reservations about this decision, I do not wish to challenge it."

ARS was doing something with the leadership, and he was the leadership, and he resigned. most likely under duress.

#21 ·
I don't know Mark. Perhaps, but am I the only one that thinks this may be more than a kerfuffle (great word). It sure seems curious coming on the heels of the politicization of bee "losses", the naming of a Presidential task force and the queuing up of lobbyists on both sides of the issue. The person running the US bee lab on the outskirts of DC, in all likelihood, is going to be a key player in the debate.

#25 ·
Maybe this has something to do with it, from the dsRNA/IAPV field trials paper:

"Dr. Jeffery Pettis is the Research Leader responsible for bee research at the Bee Lab, USDA, ARS, Maryland, and has
established a cooperative agreement with Beeologics, post completion of this research."

#31 ·
I don't know if you should expect a serious or credible answer from justouthere, Charlie. His Profile says that he has been keeping bees for 1 million years. So, either he isn't serious. Or she probably has alzhiemers disease by now.

#32 ·
No insider info- just reading the research. He's a good guy. Hopefully moving on to bigger and better things. Most consider him a value to the beekeeping world. He did a lot of work.
And doesn't it seem sometimes that we've been keeping bees forever? Much of my lifetime now. It isn't getting any easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.