Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes....... I got them at auction and 5 have
20 frames and one has 22 frames??? Wild

·
Registered
922 Posts
I guess whoever made those planned on never having to lift them or never having to lift them manually. Not surprising that the idea hasn't taken off. Wonder if you could use them as horizontal hives and even connect them horizontally as needed.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Best use I can think of for these would be to paint them black inside and out, cover them with glass, and use them as wax melters.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Are they designed so you can put two standard supers side by side on top? Or do you have to have double wide supers also? I suppose the double wide brood box would have to hold at least 21 frames for that to work.

If you can place two supers side by side on top, it's a mid step toward a long hive. You never really have to lift the brood box as long as the hive stays at a fixed site, and the supers only stack up half as high.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
The ones I have seen in use have a divider and two excluders. The super is centered and covers over the exposed areas. You basically are running two hives with two queens, but using one stack of supers.
Just another variation of a two queen hive.

·
Registered
28 Posts
to riff on what jeffrey said about moving these: if you have a utility trailer, these doubles should maybe live on the trailer. if you ever need to move em, just hitch up. a full deep is plenty heavy enough for me!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
At one bee meeting the woman speaking said she had converted entirely to these when she hurt her back, running them like a top bar hive. 20 and even thirty frames were what she was using. Standard style frames (deeps), just way more of them. She supered hers on top (with a shorter cover and standard supers) but focused on pulling frames without needed to lift a super.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I've run several. Of course you don't ever lift them. I have at least two double wide deeps and a double wide dadant deep right now. I don't see any cons except not being able to shrink the size when appropriate. Not having to lift them is nice, of course.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts