Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is the shim I used for laying workers, I got this idea off the site. In three days it seems to have stopped the egg laying in a hive that just started to have some worker eggs. No new eggs!! Thanks BeeSource Members, you'll are awesome.

Materials you will need:

(Yes, I forgot 2 long side and 2 short sides in the picture)
1. One shim of about an 1" in height ( got this one in some stuff I bought) If you cut a Deep down to a Medium you get a nice piece; you could make two or if you have a rotten old box to, you can slice it down to good wood on the table saw or just build one.
2. Two pieces of screen cut to fit the shim ( 8 mesh shown)
3. Several pieces of 1/4" wood strips ripped to 3/4" width. ( Luan Plywood in this case) 4 of the long side, and 6 of the short side
4. A staple gun and a brad nailer. Some staples and 5/8 and 1" brads

Mark the shim on one of the short sides. Mark the middle of the shim and then 1.5" to the sides.

This will give you a 3" by 3/8" opening.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Trim the extra screen off the side so no poky wires are sticking out.

Then staple it down make sure it is taut.

Then brad nail the strips to the edges and place the two extra short sides in the middle of the screen.

Add the second piece of screen on top of the first strips and staple it in place.

The two pieces in the middle help keep the two screens from touching.

Then nail the other strips on to the outside edge of the bottom and you have it done.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

The upper hive has its own entrance and should stay cool from the lower hive.

A coat of paint and your in business.

I bet it would work well for combing hives.

You can put the laying worker hive on top of a queen-right hive and the brood and queen pharamones will fill the hive above. Now the hive I put on it a few days ago is likely the exception. Even though I did not see any extra eggs today I am still going to leave it on for a couple of weeks, until I do not see any open larva.

Any sugested improvements are welcome!!

RKR

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
That is nice:thumbsup: Now I have to go outside in this record breaking heat to build one:cry:
Thanks for posting,,,,,,,That will greatly help me with some of my lack o skills:D

Rick SoMd

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Here is a better close up of the two screens before the last outer strip is nailed in place.
I'm glad you like it.

RKR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts