Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone explain the double screen method when combining two hives? I've seen video using newspaper, but not double screens. Thanks!

·
Registered
317 Posts
I have a double screen frame, (screen on two top and bottom of a frame about 1/2 in thick. I place it in between the two hives ( one brood chamber each) with both having an entrance but reversered from each other.
The bees can not get thru it but the scent will, after about a week I remove it and turn the entrance faceing the same way. If I can get a good picture I will post it here tomorrow.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They are also called Snelgrove boards, I just made one this week. Here is a link that describes how they are used. Basically, the hive odors are circulated through the boxes, while the "doors" are manipulated to allow a gradual mingling of the bees. After a week or so, the board is removed. They can also be used to raise some queen cells, but the original use was to prevent swarming.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Can this also be used when you want to make comb honey? I've heard about a theory of using two queens I think. I think you split a hive with a double queen excluder which gives you more brood which equals more worker bees for making more honey.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts