Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my first attempt at making anything out of wood since 8th grade shop class. Thankfully there is U Tube. First year Beek with two colonies. I plan to make several nucs next year. I figured I would start getting ready now while I had time. Now I`m going to make bottom boards, inner covers and telescoping covers next. I have to admit I enjoy building them. Double nucs.jpg Nucs.jpg

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
looks good. i tried those and ended up just changing to 5 frame boxes with attached bottom boards. Found it easier to move them around which is normally what i use them for. remember queen excluders if you are going to put on ten frame supers.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,827 Posts
They look good. Winter is a great time to build all the wooden ware you will need for the spring. Beats staring out the window at all the snow.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I like to make my bottom board in two pieces. With entrance only 3/8 high witch becomes a mouse Guard

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
I use French bee farm double nucs from Manitoba. A pity that site went dark. Build a divided bottom board with entrances on opposite ends. I make strong splits in the spring and give them each a queen. When I was drawing comb, I put an excluder over them and threw on a deep and let the nucs draw the foundation and fill the frames with honey. Sometimes five deep supers high! Then extract the frames and add the drawn wet frames to a divided second story and feed it full. Winter the double deep five frame nuc and split in the spring or throw on supers over queen excluders and make a big honey crop.

When I winter the double deeps, I put mountain camp over the queen excluder. They share the supplementary feed peacably as they do the shared filling of supers. If one queen dies or fails, the orphans migrate to the good queen.

Managing the bees this way is more difficult that building nuc boxes to stack on top of the divided bottom box and I sometime wish I had the nuc boxes. However my storage space is maxed out and I just don't have room for more piles of separate equipment. You always have to move three stacks to get to that special equipment!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use French bee farm double nucs from Manitoba. A pity that site went dark. Build a divided bottom board with entrances on opposite ends. I make strong splits in the spring and give them each a queen. When I was drawing comb, I put an excluder over them and threw on a deep and let the nucs draw the foundation and fill the frames with honey. Sometimes five deep supers high! Then extract the frames and add the drawn wet frames to a divided second story and feed it full. Winter the double deep five frame nuc and split in the spring or throw on supers over queen excluders and make a big honey crop.

When I winter the double deeps, I put mountain camp over the queen excluder. They share the supplementary feed peacably as they do the shared filling of supers. If one queen dies or fails, the orphans migrate to the good queen.

Managing the bees this way is more difficult that building nuc boxes to stack on top of the divided bottom box and I sometime wish I had the nuc boxes. However my storage space is maxed out and I just don't have room for more piles of separate equipment. You always have to move three stacks to get to that special equipment!
I plan on using a divided bottom board, but I think I will stick with Nucs as supers.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I like to make my bottom board in two pieces. With entrance only 3/8 high witch becomes a mouse Guard
Mice up here will chew the 3/8 big enough to get in. I use metal on all of them. I leave them on all year. use the reversible ones that close the entrances. For nucs i cut them in half and screw on to the box.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Enjoyment is without doubt the very best reason in the world to build your own gear - the sheer love of doing something creative. Nice one. :)
LJ
TOTALLY AGREE!
Im a doc i can afford to buy woodenware but i really love making it. AND I SUCK as a carpenter lol. Its just super fun! This past 2 weeks i have made out covers, inner covers, bases and 20 5 frame nucs.
Over the summer i made snelgrove boards, robbing screens, fume boards and double overwintering nucs.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Alf1960 nice to see that someone else is looking to do nucs in Wisconsin. I am over in River Falls, I have started to raise some queens so if you ever need advice hit me up. I have been raising nucs for 5 years now and it is a blast. I am going into winter with about 80 this year 4 over 4. I am sending you a PM.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
mitch30,
got some pictures/ 4 over 4 what you have been doing and success rate?

·
Registered
55 Posts
mitch30,
got some pictures/ 4 over 4 what you have been doing and success rate?
I will post some pics, What do you want? For success rate my first I have been as low as 10% loss and up to 35% I think some of those losses are due to beekeeper error as long as you feed them up and they have a good population they do good. I do treat my nucs as there are a lot of beekeeper in the area and I just sleep better at night. I hoping Randy Olivers new treatment get approved I think it will be great for use in nucs

Mitch

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
It is just the 3/8 hole I'm not picturing and how it keeps out a mouse.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It is just the 3/8 hole I'm not picturing and how it keeps out a mouse.
Technically a mouse should not fit in a 3/8 hole. i find they will increase the hole easily. Voles do fit in 3/8 openings around here. As i said above I always put metal with 3/8 opening on all nucs. Around here if you don't have it yet you most likely have mice in there. Last year i made that mistake and when i went to do an oav treatment i had a family of them pouring out. scared the crap out of me as you don't normally expect it. I've left these on all year. Found that some larger wasps/hornets dont fit through the openings -like bald face hornets. I got them cheaper someplace. ebay i think. for an entrance reducer i put blue painters tape on most of the opening and they chew it out as they need it. For nucs i cut it in half and screw to the front of the box. Important to always have bottom board extend out an inch from the box.
https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-Slidi...539005247&sr=8-3&keywords=metal+beehive+mouse

1 - 19 of 19 Posts