Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ready to start making some bottom boards for my double nucs. I am not sure of the best way to do this. Any advice would be appreciated. A picture would be great. I plan on using plywood for the bottom. Thanks, Alan

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I like to rabbit a piece of wood to band the plywood. With the band forming ledge to hold the brood box. I make mine with a 3/8 entrance. About a 1-1/2 long.

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
I would consider putting openings at opposite ends. I put them side by side and had no problems but it seems like looking for trouble.
I use just an ordinary bottom with a strip of 1 1/2" wide material nailed in the bottom from rear to front of landing board. That is wide enough for the inner walls of the 4 frame boxes to sit on. In my case I used a standard deep hive body with a 1 1/2" thick divider in it for the first course of double 4 frame nucs. You can see where the screws go through to hold it, or removed to revert to a regular deep hive body.

I did not allow them to cap that honey super above the excluder but they were on their way to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would consider putting openings at opposite ends. I put them side by side and had no problems but it seems like looking for trouble.
I use just an ordinary bottom with a strip of 1 1/2" wide material nailed in the bottom from rear to front of landing board. That is wide enough for the inner walls of the 4 frame boxes to sit on. In my case I used a standard deep hive body with a 1 1/2" thick divider in it for the first course of double 4 frame nucs. You can see where the screws go through to hold it, or removed to revert to a regular deep hive body.

I did not allow them to cap that honey super above the excluder but they were on their way to do it.
I`m using a divided deep on the bottom course with a screwed in division board that could be removed with entrances on opposite sides.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I do something similar to the double nuc to divide five frame nucs into two frame breeding nucs. I use a 'standard' solid bottom board with a 3/4 ledge on one side and a 3/8 ledge on the reverse side. I just nail 3/8 strips on the 3/8 ledge side. To convert from a five frame to a two frame I just flip the bottom board over and drop in a follower board.
DSCN3555.jpg DSCN3560.jpg DSCN3563.jpg DSCN3564.jpg

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
I have a good design for divided deeps with entrances on opposite ends. Please PM me and I will send you my email address, contact me there and I will email you a picture or two. Not smart enough to post pics here.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got around to building my bottom boards. Thanks Vance G for the pictures. I have 3 divided deeps, eight 4 frame supers, individual inner covers and top covers ready to go. I`ll be making 8 more supers out of Advantech this week. Thanks for the cut sheet BroncoVol74! Double nuc bottom board.jpg

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Why not make standard nuc bottom boards and then screw them together? If you ever need to separate them in the future you can.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts