Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to avoid entrances too close together, common solution I have seen is one front one rear. Might be good for the bees but it is rather inconvenient for me. Any reason not to have one in the front and one on the side? Have to modify a bottom board but would for front and rear.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Trying various things this year, side, two on front, front and back. More because the boards I used had some pre-existing holes...doubt it matters much.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think Michael Palmer who is all about the double nucs has entrances on the same side. Shouldn't be an issue.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all! Two on the front is even easier, only have to make / modify an entrance reducer.

Primary goal here is to get a split out of plastic and into wood before it gets any hotter. Have nothing to put in the other side at the moment. But just might get inspired to make another split.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I do opposite ends if I am doing as a mate it nuc. Otherwise the same end.

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do opposite ends if I am doing as a mate it nuc. Otherwise the same end.
Assuming "mate it" includes any mating (simple splits) and not just full fledged queen rearing?

Would an upper entrance beside a normal lower entrance on the same end be enough to avoid confusing a retuning queen? Plan to run a pollen trap next year so having one side pre-trained to an upper entrance would fit my needs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts