Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do to the poor winter and the losses that I have I am thinking of this plan for about twenty days or so. I have mated queens coming. I have some four frame nuc boxes. Pull a frame a frame or two per four frame nuc boxs. Put a queen excluder tween the main hive. With a filler strip on the excluder. After a hour or so put a inner cover in between Nucs and queen excluder add queens two the two nuc boxes after queen is released remove the inner cover. Then work as a three way hive.
My goal is to build up brood and get a better honey crop. Out of marginal hives at this time because of are poor spring. Once the Nucs get strong and hive is strong. Move the nuc to a different yard. Or am I loony.
Thanks for your wisdom
David

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
I am not sure I understand but I see a potential to have queens battling it out. I think you could keep them separate and rob the brood and put them in one hive to make it big enough to produce honey.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I am not sure I understand but I see a potential to have queens battling it out. I think you could keep them separate and rob the brood and put them in one hive to make it big enough to produce honey.
Makes great sense to me. Robbing brood from the NUC's to put into a production hive will boost the production of that hive way better than the proposed 3 way split, which could cause queens to duke it out through the queen excluder. Running side by side NUC's with queen excluder over them is a good way to make honey crops as long as the brood area isn't confined too much.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
As far as I am concerned if you confine the queen you just created a whole bunch of management liabilities that could go wrong. If you confine two queens in the same size box you can't expand one if it grows without expanding the other if it doesn't.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts