Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Will the following configuration increase the risk of moisture build up and/or too much CO2 within the cluster?
TBH with 5 hole entry/landing board on one end [not side]. Western WA winter typically runs mid 30's to upper 40's day and night. RH sits almost all winter at 90+%. When temps do drop and stay in sub-freezing range RH drops. We are considering placing a candy board for winter at the end of the hive closest to wherever the last comb built winds up, AND one adjacent to the comb closest to the entry WITH a 1" hole bored through the center to allow bees to exit as necessary. The feeder boards do not fit flush against the side walls nor on the bottom screen with removable sticky tray. The bees can move along side walls and bottom screen

·
Registered
432 Posts
Candy boards absorb moisture so they can help with humidity. Dry wood shavings and/or dry straw packed on top can help with humidity and insulation as well. Putting in a candy board is never a bad thing, they are practically essential in my area to prevent starvation.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I am a first year TBH, but wonder why you would put a candy board near the entrance? In a long hive the bees will generally move only in one direction. I will be putting two candyboards after the last bar of capped honey as insurance during the winter and will modify this design for my TBH - https://www.therighthandllp.com/index.php/valkyrie-long-hive/sockermat-feeding. Maybe this is something that can work for you?

Kevin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[KevinF Not so much near the entrance, but in front of the bar nearest the entrance with a hole in the enter and one at the 'back' of the hive. These are new bees and won't likely fill the entire Hive box this year, though close I think. Thanks for the link to the valkyrie folks. Love the design. Would have to do some mods to that type of feeding system since I have true tapered boxes that of course don't have 19" bars, except one. I know the books say they only go in one direction and the way I think about it, I would find out soon enough which direction the go. Also real new to this world of bees.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts