Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a Russian hive that I thought was a Dink. They havent ever really taken off and I was going to move them to a medium today until i got inside and found something interesting. I found 2 laying queens a virgin all within incheds of eachother. I knew about the double queens and they both had their hiney''s in a cell, but the virgin was just lollygagging around not doing a whole bunch except running. I went to go get my camera and they all departed before I could. it was really cool to see. I was surprised by the virgin tho. There were no ther queen cells in the 5 frames they havent grown out of except the one the other laying queen came from. The hive right beside it was the one where i found the queen under the sbb on the hive and when i put her in, she flew away never to come back. I am going to assume that that little virgin was her.

I caught her after she stung me and put her in a queen cage and added her to the one waiting on queens to hatch. They were lethargic before, not hardle doing anything and when she managed to get out of the came as a staple came loose, they went nutz grooming her, feeding her. It was really cool to watch the temperment of the hive change when she hit the bottom board. she was welcomed with open arms.....which i was surprised to see. Guess we learn more and more every day....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was beside myself....i don't run from anything....but I actually RAN back down to the house to get the camera/video Camera

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
First off let me say I am not questioning your honesty.
Are you saying that there were two laying Queens and a virgin queen all on the same frame.
I understand how you knew the two laying Queens because of their actions, but how could you tell that the one was virgin?
What genetics were the bees that accepted the virgin Queen, I think she is the one you moved?
Also it is unusual for a queen to sting, did she leave her stinger?
Man, I would love to have seen a video of this.
I think you are going to have some people that are going to doubt the facts you have stated. Not me it sounds too far fetched to not be true!!
Oh, do you still have the two laying Queens in the Russian hive?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey Valleyman, there were 2 laying queens and a virgin on the same frame. They are all Russian Hybrids, all of them. I have the first finger and the thumb cut out of my glove so i can feel the frames and such. i tried coraling her in the cage, but she didnt want to go because it donned on me where she was from. When i picked her up gently, she ended up facing my thumb and laid right into me. No, queens stingers are not ribbed are they and do not stick in you. I just gently put her into the cage and then cussed out loud as it hurt. I have picked up 3 or 4 before and never been stung by a queen. She was a little hornery though.

People can doubt all they want, but i jest you not, this is what happened just like i said it did. Yes both queens are still there, and the hives are right beside eachother and thats why i think the virgin came from the one beside. They HAD to have let her in. There is no way she hatched without me knowing with the way I have been watching them and the double queens. That has to be the virgin ithat flew away.....

If you told me the same thing, i would not have believed you either. I couldnt run fast enough to get my camera. I'll take some pics of the double queens tomorrow if you like and if the virgin is alive, Ill take a pic of her too.....it's crazy, i know.....they never read the books we do....oh and i can give you a pic of my thimb, but i stopped swliing a LONG time ago...just a small little dot...LOL..

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dev, I was serious, I believe you. I remember other post by you and I don't think you could have made it up. But like I said some won't accept it. It had to be a beekeeping experience of a life time. Like was stated they don't read the books we do. Remember it is nature and anything is possible. A lot of people have never seen heavy snow and several lightening strikes with loud thunder, but I have several times.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I didn't want to post anything up when it happened for fear of being labeled as a crackpot but in May when I was checking my splits I came across a bar with a queen cell. I decided to make another split from my rocking hive.

When I pulled the outer cover off, there were two queens about 8" apart walking around the inner cover. I was pretty shocked. While I watched they disappeared down the hole. I figured something outside my skill level was happening here so I buttoned everything up.

No way to tell if they were mated or not.

But that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I know you do Valleyman, it's all good. I have no reason to lie. I am one of those tell it like it is kinda guys...LOL....I have seen some really crazy stuff after being introduced into bees....like 5 swarms across my back yard last year all landing on the same spot except 1... a rabid raccoon getting into a bee tree that i had to shoot one night on the while i was on the chat. Cops even came on that one.

I have seen some of the dangdest things its hard to remember them all and its only been 2 years...LOL. Oh well, i just chalk it up to learning and we go on.

Don aka FBM told me something i will never forget. He said in all the years that he has been keeping bees, sometimes they do follow the books but 99% of the time, they don't read them like we do. He said let the bees teach you. They are the best teachers, and if you listen and learn from them, you can go to all the schools you want about beeking, and yet they will always throw curves your way.

I really don't care what other people believe. We all have different beliefs and experiences and if you cannot post them here because people think your a crackpot, then I have issues with those people. I can deal with ignorance, just not stupidity. Have a great bee day, and I'll see if I can get some pics later....

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Hambone,
You got to understand he had just been traumatized from his experience. So misprints should be understandable.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No misquote here.....>LOL.....he just read it wrong......LOLOLOLOL.....

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sometimes the grammer is the best part of the post. When i have just gotten out of the hives, i am so wound up, i can hardly turn on the laptop. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts