Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I have a nice and strong two hives that refuse
to build the last foundation in the brood nest.

On the top of the brood nest, there are two more supers full of honey
so i don't understand why they have a problem building these foundations??

Thank you
Randi

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
If you are talking about frames 1 & 10 just move them in toward the center, the girls dont always do like we tell them :lookout:

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Honeyman is right. They often ignore the sides and build more in the center. Moving frames inward often helps. Also, they only bother building when they need the space. If they "think" that they have enough space, they won't pull wax. Moving frames to a spot where they "think" that they need space helps them decide to do what you want. Oh yeah...you mentioned foundation so I assume that you have foundation in there. If you have plastic frames, check to see if the frames still have a wax coating. When I used plastic, I found that my outside and undrawn frames didn't get drawn out even when I moved them to the middle. Then I discovered that the bees had pretty much stripped the thin wax coating from the plastic. I re-coated with wax (which wasn't pretty) and after a while, the bees made comb. It took a while though. Just a thought....

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with Honey and Raven. Put frames 1 and 10 in the middle and if you are using wax, recoat it. Let us know how long it takes the bees to draw out the comb after you put them in the middle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts