Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read that when you clean your wax (after scraping off frames) that you can use the water - and all the honey that is mixed with it from the wax - to feed your bees. I just finished soaking the wax and drained and strained the water from that container into my top feeder jars. I was going to give it to the bees but detected a faint vinegar like odor coming from the "honey water". Should I not feed this to my bees? I don't want them to get sick...or drunk! :s Has anyone ever done this before?

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Sorry, I've got no experience with your situation, but I don't think I'd feed it. I tried once years ago to feed diluted honey back to bees and noticed it soured quickly so never tried again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks Ray - I decided not to use it since it smelled sour, even though it was only 24 hours since I started soaking the wax. Not worth taking the chance. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
What I do is dump the honey and wax into a paint strainer bag and hang outside. The bees come and rob all the honey back by sucking it out through the nylon mesh bag. You could try this, before you clean the wax maybe.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I've heard of this process of washing the cappings. It seems like a lot of extra work to me. I let my cappings drain for 24 hours, then I set my sticky cappings out in shallow plastic totes about 50 yards from the hives behind my honey house and let the bees clean these up by robbing.

Many will warn against this practice as it may "incite" robbing of the hives. This has not been my experience.

If you want to wash your cappings, add 1 teaspoon (tsp) of household bleach to each gallon of liquid. Give it a day to disperse and it is perfectly safe for the bees to eat.

Grant
Jackson, MO www.maxhoney.homestead.com

·
Registered
429 Posts
I give all my cappings and scrap wax to the hive behind my house. I keep it at least 100 ft from the hive. I have 4 hives within 1/2 mile of home so I keep didstace. but I have fed back straight on the hive with a hive top feeder. just remove the screen first.

·
Registered
429 Posts
bleach kills yeast, yeast eats sugar and causes fermentation. so bleach = rehuced fermentation and spoilage. but I still don't want it in the food I eat, and preferr to not put it in my bees food either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Honey contains lots of wild yeast and bacteria that would cause fermentation, the only thing it's missing is water. This reaction can take place in an hour if conditions are right. Sounds like great compost pile water, or just dump it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts