Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a word of advice learned the hard way. If you bait your swarm traps with "Bee Scent", don't inspect your hives the same day without washing because you will carry some pheromones on you. I hung and baited some traps today after which I went to check on my girls. I got popped once and butted numerous times before I figured that one out. I went in the house, showered and when I went back they were gentle again.
Colino

·
Registered
180 Posts
At least you know the scent gets the attention of bees;)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At least you know the scent gets the attention of bees;)
Yes this is my first season using it and it does seem to work. I baited my traps in my shop and it drew attention from foragers, but no aggression, just when near my hives. I think they thought I was going to rob them or something like that.
Colino

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this what you mean when you say Bee Scent?
http://www.scentry.com/Beescent.htm
Yes that's the stuff. You can smell the pheromone in it and other things. Yesterday I put up 7 traps and I checked today and 3 of them had bees checking them out. I'm going to check the nine I put out today tomorrow to see if they are drawing interest this quick too. There is a thread on B.S. by a fella named Grant who explains how to use it. http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?250284-Swarm-lures&highlight=Bee+Scent%2C+Grant
Colino

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I saw that stuff last year and considered using it but it looks like it is more for attracting foragers. Has anyone tested it to see if it is better than LGO?

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
>don't inspect your hives the same day without washing because you will carry some pheromones on you.
It should have a calming effect, go to HBH site they claim you can use it instead of smoke to calm bees. I often handle LGO and have never let if stop me from inspecting my hives.

>Is this what you mean when you say Bee Scent? ttp://www.scentry.com/Beescent.htm
I believe it's EO and sugar, I thought about using it but am happy with my LGO mixed with queens. Last year’s success rate was 50% out of 40 traps.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I saw that stuff last year and considered using it but it looks like it is more for attracting foragers. Has anyone tested it to see if it is better than LGO?
Won't some of those foragers be scouts? Also there will be a transfer of fresh scent from the visiting foragers to make it more attractive.

>don't inspect your hives the same day without washing because you will carry some pheromones on you.
It should have a calming effect, go to HBH site they claim you can use it instead of smoke to calm bees. I often handle LGO and have never let if stop me from inspecting my hives.

HBH does not contain pheromones.

>Is this what you mean when you say Bee Scent? ttp://www.scentry.com/Beescent.htm
I believe it's EO and sugar, I thought about using it but am happy with my LGO mixed with queens. Last year’s success rate was 50% out of 40 traps.
It says on the Bee Scent label it contains pheromones not EO.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
>It says on the Bee Scent label it contains pheromones not EO.

Lemongrass Essential Oil is mostly citral (a mixture of mirror image molecules: geranial and neral)

Nasonov is made up of:
citral (a mixture of mirror image molecules: geranial and neral) and some closely related chemicals nerolic acid (based on neral) and geranic acid (based on geranial).

Lemongrass oil IS pheromones.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
>It says on the Bee Scent label it contains pheromones not EO.

Lemongrass Essential Oil is mostly citral (a mixture of mirror image molecules: geranial and neral)

Nasonov is made up of:
citral (a mixture of mirror image molecules: geranial and neral) and some closely related chemicals nerolic acid (based on neral) and geranic acid (based on geranial).

Lemongrass oil IS pheromones.
I was just trying to warn people about what I thought I observed with Bee Scent, not create a debate on which is the best lure bait.
Colino

1 - 11 of 11 Posts