Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first year beekeeping and I got a #3 package and installed it in my hive on April 22. I did the inspection yesterday to see how my hive is doing and I found a ton of capped drone brood, no capped worker brood, and a couple uncapped superceedure cells. I didn't see the queen in there, but then again, I could have missed her. I was going to back tonight and look again and see if I can find her.

Where do I go from here? Should I just scrap the whole thing and try to start over if I can find a swarm?

I will take any advice I can get.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I'm no expert, but- was your queen in a little queen cage when you put the package into the hive? Is the queen cage now empty, meaning she exited it?
I hear bees like to raise a lot of drones first thing in the Spring. It's only been a little over 2 weeks. If it were me, I would wait another week and then check again and at that time if you see any capped worker brood you'll be ok. :) Just my own instinct.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, the queen was in a cage and it was empty when I took it out. I checked and made sure she was alive when I put the cage in there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was there uncapped worker brood? If there is then she is in there someplace. Look VERY carefully for eggs or very small larva in worker brood comb. That is more important to find than the actual queen.
Not enough info to go on, old drawn combs? Foundation? Foundationless? Top Bar Hive? Been feeding them?
A lot of new queen issues on here lately, you are not alone.
Give her more time, and good job at staying out of the new hive!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts