Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. What do you think a fair sale price would be for a first year hive 2 supers 1 medium,top and screened bottom Full of bees. Regards Joe

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
The woodward is worth a couple of hundred bucks new. The bees are worth at least 150 dollars, if there is any extra honey, it is worth six dollars a pound. The foundation on the frames is a nice advantage. If you get this hive through the winter, it should make a lot of honey, maybe 200 pounds next year. That is well over a thousand dollars worth of honey. Of course it's a risk, because if the bees don't over winter you have the wooodware and foundation that should be worth about 250 bucks. It's a good buy at 250 to 300 dollars, and the risk increases after that. In West Texas where I live, I would easily pay 300 to 350 for the hive if it is in good health.

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
Welcome to Beesource!

> What do you think a fair sale price would be ....

Well, somewhere between $150 and $300 US. :)

Healthy bees, particularly those that have built up stores for the winter, are worth considerably more than a weak colony. An inspection of the hive will help you more closely determine a fair selling price. But keep in mind that unless you are prepared to transport the colony to a larger market area, the local selling price is partly determined by how much a local buyer is willing to pay.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Hello all. What do you think a fair sale price would be for a first year hive 2 supers 1 medium,top and screened bottom Full of bees. Regards Joe
At this time of year, in BC, it's worth the price of used equipment.

If you are set up to extract already, then capped honey in the comb may have some value to you. If you aren't already set up to extract, its worth the price of bee food, because that's all it'll be used for. Uncapped honey in the combs at this time of year, is just more bee food.

The bees themselves, just bring along more costs, and have little / no value at this time of year. All they bring into the deal, is a 50% chance of dieing off over the winter. If they have a high mite load, that number goes up. If they dont have a high mite load, that number may go down, if you are experienced in wintering bees in the part of the province you live in.

If it was me, today, buying a colony from an unknown source, it's just worth the price of the drawn comb and some used boxes. A first year colony, the comb may or may not be all drawn. I'd start by considering the value of that colony in the spring, discount by the cost of re-populating it after they die off ($165 + taxes was the going rate this year), discount some more based on how much I'd have to spend treating and feeding them for the winter, and negotiate down from that point, which would be my absolute top dollar I would pay.

Selling bees at this time of year is an exercise in extracting salvage value from used equipment.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Hi,
New supers are 20.00 each, wood frames with plastic foundation is 4.00 each, nucs in Kelowna were 150.00 each in June,, is it eight frame or ten frame equipment?
At those prices I think its time to haul a truckload north. $20.......... seriously?

...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

I would say the average hive this time of year with that equipment with seriously healthy bees would price out at $175-$250 depending on the specific location.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry I don't have much more info on amount of frames and such. I had seen an add for this package and thought the asking price was a bit high So I will go and do an inspection of hive and make a fair offer based upon my findings My estimate on what I see in the photos is $300 + or - $50 if the mite count is ok. Regards Joe

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just bought 3 hives consisting of bottom board, 2 deeps, 18 frames, inner cover and top.
Full of bee's and the bottom frames full of brood top frames full of honey and some brood.
The queen's are this spring Minnesota Hygienic and they are packed in there.
I will be adding suppers tomorrow.
$200.00 each

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Going prices last spring in the Denver Metro area: Packages $100 to $140, Nucs $150 to $200, Single Deeps $250 and there were not many bees that did not sell.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have sold a few in the past few weeks - bottom board, migratory cover, two mediums with 20 frames, full of bees, brood, and honey for $175. Customers were glad to get them and I think that is a little low.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts