Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Doing Research Report, Need Some Questions Answered By You Pros!

1703 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Michael Bush
Hey everyone!

I am in a class in college where I have to write a research report and create a proposal for a possible fix to a problem. I chose CCD as my topic and I have to find a beekeeper with knowledge/experience in the field that would be willing to answer these questions. You don't need to have a masters degree but if you are knowledgeable about bees and feel you can give your educated opinion to answer the questions below, it would help me a ton! No one will see this but my teacher, as it is just for class.

Questions (answers can be as long as you want, the longer the better) I want to thank Fusion_power for helping me with these questions!
1) What are your credentials, background, and experience related to beekeeping?
2) How many colonies of honeybees do you have and how many years have you had them?
3) Have you experienced abnormally high losses over the last 8 years?
4) What problems do you attribute losses to?
5) Have you been affected by CCD (Colony Collapse Disorder) and if so, what do you think the leading cause of CCD is?
6) How have you personally been affected by CCD (Financial, Emotional, Educational, No Affect, etc.)?
7) What major challenges should we be addressing that cause colony losses?
8) What should we be doing to reduce problems with CCD?
9) CCD isn’t just about bees, have you seen it impacting the economy, if so, how?
10) If things keep going as they are, what does the future of the honeybee look like?
11) Anything else you would like to say about anything related beekeeping challenges?

Feel free to send the answers to my inbox or post below! I really appreciate the help. :)
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
3,223 Posts
Sideline beekeeper since 1969, max 40 colonies, currently have 11 colonies, not interested in having more than 20, too much work for something I enjoy.

I had several occasions of losing all my bees, first to tracheal mites in 1988, then to varroa mites in the winter of 1993/1994. I treated for varroa until 2005 when I finally found a queen that showed some mite tolerance and got some queens from Purvis that were highly mite tolerant. Since 2005, I have not treated for mites in any way at all. My bees are thriving.

I have no experience with CCD. From my perspective, it is mostly media sensationalism of the "sky is falling" type. Since I have not seen CCD, I can't speculate about the effect on me or the economy. There are several beekeepers who have been hit hard by CCD which is NOT attributable to mites. It would be best to get their opinions on this topic.

The major challenge we as beekeepers should be addressing is breeding honeybees with multiple mite tolerance traits. If we take varroa out of the equation, beekeeping becomes an enjoyable pastime or a profitable business. In my opinion, most of the heavy colony losses over the last few years were attributable to varroa mites and the diseases they carry.

The future of beekeeping is bright. We have huge demand for pollination and a good honey market. What we need most of all is a new generation of beekeepers to take over as the current group retires. There are more challenges to face today which makes it riskier than ever in the past.

We have had major losses this year to cold weather in the northern states and in Canada. These losses will mostly be made up by splits and packages. We really need to focus on the basics of good beekeeping practices.

There is plenty of room for breeding improved bees for production, disease tolerance, pest tolerance, and a wealth of other useful traits. Did I mention that we need a LOT more new beekeepers?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.