Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The same folks who have fruit trees that have invited me to put out a hive also have a dog who has free run of the property.

Anyone had problems with dogs getting too near a hive and being severely stung?

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have 9 hives inside my fenced yard and two dogs that can go wherever they want when I let them out. They learn to stay away from the bees, and they have never been ganged up on by my bees. I'm sure they've been stung at least once.

·
Registered
Bee Wrangler
754 Posts
Dogs are quick learners, one or twice and they know their limits. I have a cat that follows me around like a dog, even sits on the next hive over while I do inspections.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the dog, they are quick learners, Like G3farms I have a cat that goes to the hives with me and he knows what bees are and can read their moods as well as I can.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have two small dogs that like to follow me around the farm and also to my bee yard--just once. Now when they see me putting on my veil and lighting the smoker, they find a shady place to hang out until I return from the hives.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
My dog used to stick his nose right into the entrance, never had an issue with him getting attacked but he didn't hang around them too long, weren't that exciting I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My dog lies on the ground in front of the hives and waits for them to get close enough to snatch them out of the air with a single bite. Not sure what the attraction is.

·
Registered
97 Posts
My dog learned quick. Put his nose to the entrance once and learned his lesson. Been 4 yrs and hasn't been around them since.

·
Registered
213 Posts
How smart is the dog? If not the first time, then the second or third...

My dog follows me everywhere but keeps his distance when I'm working the bees.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
All my bees are fenced in so my dogs can only get so close .
For some reason the bees like my red dob they seem to pick on him but he's a fast bee assassin.
He don't like bees.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I had a beagle that would stick his nose in the entrances all the time and take a deep sniff, bees never bothered him and I guess he liked the smell of a hive since he did it at least once a day during the summer mornings. Personally I like the smell inside of a hive too.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
My dog lies on the ground in front of the hives and waits for them to get close enough to snatch them out of the air with a single bite. Not sure what the attraction is.
My dog eats them too. Not sure why.

·
Registered
213 Posts
A little bit of honey in every bite...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My two American Ekimos catch the bees on the fly and will go to my backyard hives every day and eat any wounded bees crawling. They are fascinated and must like the taste but won't go to the hive directly and try to snatch them. I doubt in a month two dozen bees are eaten but I think it's a sport of some sort to them not to get stung.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts