Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know any tricks for getting wax worm larvae and webs off of filled comb before extracting? I pulled a super off of one of my hives, but then brushhogging got in the way and I couldn't get to it. It's been 6 days, and the little buggers have hatched out. I don't exactly like worm poop in my honey. I've tried blowing them off with air, and that pretty much gets the larvae off, but does nothing for the webs and embedded poop and frass. :doh:

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
use a spatula and scoop out the contaminated comb and trash it. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
nathan; just extract the honey and filter it through cheesecloth or one of the sieves available from the bee suppliers. Then let it settle for a few days and you're good to go. Gets everything, including most of the pollen out. Moth eggs and anything else you're worried about will not end up in the honey. :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
combs with wax moth contamination yield honey that is...awful.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Place the super back on a strong hive and have the bees do the manual labor for you. In a few days you should be able to take the super off and extract it.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
sorry to have offended your sensabilities. bees do not "barf it up" in the sense of vomiting partially digested food, it is kept in a seperate dedicated sac.in their bodies. the contamination i was specifically refering to is the defecation(poop) from wax moth larvae, and from personal experience, it makes honey taste...awful. perhaps the taste is not offensive to yourself, but my comments were not directed to you.
good day,mike

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ok just me,but I wouldnt extract it. Thats just me. I would burn it. Frames and foundation. I know that is harse but I hate those things. Peace Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts