Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I decided to seriously look into starting out in beekeeping the very first topic I researched was whether the bees could coexist happily with my 70 lb boxer. Everything I read said the dog will probably get stung a few times then learn his lesson. I hived my first package about one month ago and watched carefully when I let my dog out to make sure things would be OK when he got stung. He took a couple stings in the first week with no ill effects, I pulled the stingers out and he went on his way. There were no more stings for about 3 weeks until yesterday. Since his stings were from bees in the grass the dog still hadn't really learned not to mess with the actual hive. My wife watched him go over to it and have a sniff and apparently one of the ladies didn't approve and stung him in the cheek. My wife noticed him start acting weird, walking like he was drunk. He did his business both #1 and 2 right in the middle of the yard which was strange for him and began to have large saliva bubbles around his mouth (not foaming but big bubbles). Within 5 minutes he could barely stand and was in full blown anaphylactic shock. We rushed him to the vet which is about 3 minutes away and he passed out on us in the car. The vet gave him epi and pumped in some fluid IVs to raise his blood pressure. 2 hours and $500 later my pup was doing much better and today he is back to his old self but the vet said if we had waited even 20 minutes to get him in he would probably have died. I'm hoping this is a cautionary tale for those backyard keepers with dogs. If you start to see a reaction make sure to get your dog help ASAP. Also, a reaction can apparently come even though some stings have happened with no problems. I am going to try and get a Rx for epi for him in the future and am going to have to fence in (or maybe relocate) my hive so there are no more problems. Sorry this post got a little rambling :eek: I hope maybe it helps someone in the future.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Wow, good to know. I didn't know dogs could be affected by bee stings. Our cat got one sting and that was enough for her to start scrutinizing the area before she lay down. She doesn't mess with the bees anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
All our dogs keep distance from the hives and leave if they hear the buzzing sound. All, but one to be exact. Our Golden is not that smart, but has never been stung either. He hangs around the hives when we work them. He sniffs the bees and we are surprised that he hasn't been stung yet. I assume it is because he moves slowly around the hives, and our bees are ultra gentle. I am concerned because they could sting him into the nose, which would be really bad. So I'm considering locking him into the house when we work the hives.
BTW We used to have a ****er spaniel that got stung into both of his cheeks. His heat swell up like a balloon. He did not have any bad reactions just swelling. Also it is a good idea to have Benadril in the house. It can be given to dogs and it will reduce the sting effect.
Sorry to hear that your dog had such a bad reaction. An epi pen may be a good idea. Ask your personal physician for a prescription, because it may cost you less. Or at least check into it. Our post man is allergic to bees and he always carries a pen with him. He said it cost 70 dollars. He is not afraid of bees, just allergic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,000 Posts
My dog has been stung numerous times. He still enjoys catching them and eating them. I suppose it's like humans, some dogs are allergic and some aren't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,105 Posts
If you are going to share your yard with your bees, have them fenced with a solid obstruction that forces the bees to go at least 6 feet up before they can start flying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,035 Posts
Glad the dog is OK!
One of mine, leaves them alone, the other is always trying to catch them.

I don't keep wasp, or hornets, but on occasion I got stung by them. Your sharing your yard with stinging insects weather you like it or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
If you have a boxer make sure you always have benedryl on hand. Boxers can get allergic reactions to all sorts of things. Grasses,spider bites bees I guess and the list goes on. I have had boxers for years and never had a problem and the hive is right in my yard but who knows one day it cud happen. Just give a benedryl at the first sign. Usually stops it but at least you have time to go to a vet. if it got worse. So remember get some Benedryl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
983 Posts
Good info,

My yellow lab pup loves watching and listening to the bees. He took one on the nose awhile back. He didn't like it very much. He went and sat in the corner.

My hives are electic fence protected. The dog never gets too close. He got zapped my the fence once and only once. He jumped 10 feet in the air and yelped loudly. He is not afraid of the fence or the bees...he just doesn't mess with either. Hard to do when you are a 6 month old lab puppy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
127 Posts
Good to know. I have two boxers and have another hive at a friends house that has 1 boxer and they are in the yard all the time when I am not at home.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,025 Posts
I have always had dogs, cats and bees at the same time. With four dogs they usually start chasing each other until one smacks into the hive. The cat just sits up on top of the hive and laughs at the stupid dogs. The dogs will avoid the hive for a few months and forget. Some lady let her Chihuahua run wild Friday and it decided to run around the apiary. When it brushed a hive bearding, we had to rescue it. Fortunately another beekeeper, who is a paramedic was there to help get the bees off and help the dog. The owner just dissapeared without a word. Some people should not have animals or kids.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
344 Posts
We had a Rotty pup 5 month old stung in the mouth 15 min. later dead all he did was yelp. It happened that quick his brother ate bees loved yellow jackets he would eat a entire nest until they are gone. If you have a eppy pen it is the same thing the vet will charge you for with a inflated price though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,112 Posts
My dog (G. Shepard / Husky mutt) got stung on the nose once that was enough for him to learn. The learning experience took all of about 5 minutes after I set up my first hive two seasons ago. He will now come out with me when I suit up, but plops down in the shade of an apple tree about 20 feet from the hives. Interstingly enough, he regularly eats bees that land on my back deck and never seems to have any problems with that.

Glad I have an Epi-pen 2-pack. One for me and one for the dog, just in case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,673 Posts
My little Rat Terrier got stung yesterday and had a reaction.She threw up about 15 minutes later and trebled for several hours.This is the first time she has a reaction to bee stings.I saw a show on history,discovery or one of those shows about reactions to stings a and reactions dont just occur the worst on the first event.It can occur on a second,third or even fourth event with the histamine level elevating more each time.I wanted to keep these hives separate for raising queens from at my house and then carry them back down to the bottoms so now I guess I had better move them.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top