Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! Does anyone know if FOAMULAR XPS boards from Owens Corning contain any insecticides? I looked at the data sheet, etc. and could not find a definite answer. I know that a lot of people use it in their hives and say that they have no problems with it, etc. but this does not answer the question. Maybe someone was able to contact the manufacturer and get the answer from them? Because I tried but have not heard from them yet.
thanks!
konstantin

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
From their commercial website:

Q: What is Owens Corning recommendation to address termite concerns?

A: Follow applicable building codes in your area that have been designed to minimize the risk of infestation. Infestation is primarily a concern in California and in the southeastern United States that have been designated as having “very heavy” infestation probability. See Section 2603.8 of the 2006 International Building Code, and Section R320.5 of the 2006 International Residential Code for complete details on ground treatment, baiting systems, resistant wood, inspection spaces, physical barriers and shields, and exceptions for non-wood or pressure treated wood buildings, and for insulation placed inside foundation/basement walls.

Be wary of foam plastic boards that claim to be “insect resistant”. Many insect resistance treatment techniques rely on water soluble additives that become ineffective over time and after prolonged exposure to ground water. Also, termites may travel behind treated boards, between the board and the foundation wall. In that case, the board treatment cannot work, while the board shields the insect path of travel. Following code requirements for ground treatment, clearance and physical barriers is the best protection.
I rather think the above is Owens Corning's way of saying that XPS boards do not contain an insecticide (unlike Halfback foam boards, which do).
LJ

... and nothing mentioned in their MSDS sheet for Foamular Boards.

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
216 Posts
This does not relate to the brand you are enquiring about, but I came across insulation foam boards that contain Brominated flame retardants.

Now, there are zero studies investigating what are the long term effects of products containing Brominated flame retardant in hives, and no bees are going to drop dead if they land on insulation foam containing BFR. But, these chemicals are getting more scrutiny because they are suspected to be toxic to humans and animals and are bio-accumulative. Risk in hives is probably still negligible but that is only my assumption.

Personally I use cork which works very well to insulate my two hives’ lids in my climate. I understand that colder climates need a more robust insulation and cork may not be suitable.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
I don't know the answer, but if you intend to use it as insulation under your outer cover, you need to cover it with foil tape or even just aluminum foil. They do like to chew on it unless you cover it. They do not chew at it on the outside of the hives in my experience. J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! That was helpful. Also, I received a response from the manufacturer: "Thank you for contacting Owens Corning. We do not add any insecticide to our Foamular products. If you have any other questions let us know."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts