Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how (or if) wind affects the foraging radius of bees?

We tend to imagine the foraging area of bees to radiate out in an even circle, with the hive at the center. If I lived in a windy place where the prevailing wind was southerly, would the bees favor the North? Would bees leaving the hive tend to move a bit downwind?

Or is it more likely that windy regions have a smaller foraging radius, due to the added effort of fighting the wind?

Anyone have any information on this?

Adam

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I don't think the direction of the wind would affect the bees, as they would have a headwind either leaving or coming back to the hive, or be dealing with a sideways wind.

I think windspeed may be a bigger factor. In winds over 25 mph, the bees don't want to fly. The forage radius in high winds is the hive itself.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I read a study at one time that stated that bees tend to favor heading into the wind on their way out from the hive to forage. This behavior tends to make it easier on the bees on their homeward journey when they're carrying a gut load of nectar and/or pollen pouches full of pollen.

Whether or not this would actually effect the shape of their forage range, the study didn't conclude one way or the other.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts